Chicken Umeboshi Cheese Fry
Recipe By: Norie Mori
4 pieces of chicken fillet (2 pieces chicken schnitzel if available)
1tbsp Spiral Organic Umeboshi Puree
2 slices of cheese
¼C baby spinach or basil leaves (or shiso/perilla leaves if available)
1 egg, beaten
½C plain flour (Casalare Not-So-Plain Flour can be used for gluten intolerance)
½C panko or bread crumb (Casalare Rice Crumbs can be used for gluten intolerance)
½C Spiral Organic Sunflower Oil for frying
1. Cover the chicken fillet with cling wrap on both sides, and flatten with a rolling pin or the bottom of a glass jar. (when using schnitzel, cut in half)
2. Spread the umeboshi puree and place cheese and spinach /basil or shiso leaves on to one side of the chicken.
3. Place the other piece of chicken on top of it to make a sandwich.
4. Coat with flour, dip in egg and top it off by coating with panko or rice crumbs
5. In a frying pan, heat the oil, fry the chicken, when one side is cooked golden, flip it and cook the other side. Drain oil on cooking paper and cut in half.
6. Serve with salad
** For a vegan alternative, sliced hard tofu can be used in place of the chicken. Instead of egg, mix ½C Casalare Tempura Flour with ¼C or more water to make the batter, coat the sandwiched tofu with it, add the crumbs and fry.