Miso Grilled Onigiri with Shiitake Mushroom Filling
Recipe By: Heaven Leigh
2 cups Short grain rice (sushi rice)
2 cups Water for rice cooker or 2 ½ cups of water for stove top
2 Tbsp Vegetable oil
1 tsp Sesame seeds (black and white)
½ cup Seaweed (pre-shredded)
1. Cook your rice until fluffy and set to the side. While rice is cooking you can make your mushroom filing.
2. Heat sesame oil in a pan over medium heat. Add fresh ginger and sauté for 1 min.
3. Then add shiitake mushroom and Organic Tamari and cook for 4 min or until mushrooms soften.
4. Lastly add agave and mix well.
5. Transfer filling to a bowl and set aside to cool.
1. In a bowl, place all the ingredients together, mix well and set aside
1. Put 2 Tbsp of the miso mixture into the cooked rice and mix well then divide the rice into 6 portions and shape as a ball
2. Take a sheet of cling wrap and place in palm of hand to shape onigiri. Take 1 rice ball, place in centre of cling film and palm of hand. Make a deep indentation to the middle to add approx. 1 -1 ½ Tbsp of filling. Cover the filling with rice and begin shaping the rice ball into desired shape, keeping the filling in the middle
3. Brush remaining miso mixture on the flat sides of the onigiri you are going to grill
4. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat and coat the skillet with vegetable oil then grill the onigiri for about 1 minute on each side until crispy. Transfer to serving plate and garnish with sesame seeds and seaweed, serve hot.
Find more Conscious Cooking recipes by Heaven Leigh on her website!