Stuffed Steamed Tofu with Kuzu Sauce
Recipe By: Norie Mori
1 pack (about 300g) silken firm Tofu, cut into quarters, wrap with cooking paper to remove extra moisture. (For filling)
100-150g uncooked prawn meat, roughly crushed with the back of a knife and chopped
2-3 button mushrooms, minced
One handful coriander or spring onion, (15g) chopped finely
1Tbsp finely grated ginger or ginger puree
1tsp Spiral Organic Toasted Sesame Oil
1tsp Spiral Organic Shoyu or Tamari
1Tbsp potato starch or cornflour diluted with 1Tbsp water (For Kuzu Sauce)
1Tbsp Spiral Instant Dashi
1C water (included water from the steamed stuffed tofu)
1Tbsp Spiral Organic Shoyu or Tamari
Drops of Spiral Japanese Sesame Oil
1Tbsp Spiral Organic Kuzu diluted with 1Tbsp water
1. Using a teaspoon, scoop out the centre of tofu about halfway through to make a hole (make sure not to break the edge of the tofu). Keep the scooped Tofu for mixing with other ingredients.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for filling along with the scooped tofu and mix well. Scoop into the hole and cover the surface.
3. Transfer them to a plate which fits the steamer. (OR place in a large bowl, cover with cling wrap if using a microwave)
4. Steam for about 10-15 minutes (microwave 2 minutes) until prawn is cooked. Don’t discard the water from the stuffed tofu as it is to be mixed for the kuzu sauce.
5. In a small pot, add water (including the water from steamed stuffed tofu), dashi, salt, shoyu or tamari and heat. When it comes to the boil, add diluted kuzu and stir gently until the sauce thickens a bit. Add a few drops of the toasted sesame oil.
6. Pour the sauce over the stuffed steamed Tofu, garnish with some coriander leaves on top.4