Hand-rolled Sushi As-You-Like-It
Recipe By: Norie Mori
2C Sushi rice, washed, rinsed and drained
¼C Spiral Organic Sushi Vinegar
Cucumber, cut into 7cm thin strips
Carrot, cut into 7cm thin strips
Avocado, sliced thinly
425g tinned tuna in spring water, drained and mixed with mayonnaise
100g Smoked salmon
– 1 large chicken thigh
– 1Tbsp Spiral Mirin
– ½Tbsp Spiral Genuine Tamari
10 sheets Spiral Yaki Nori (Sushi Nori) Sheets, cut into quarter square
1 pack Spiral Pickled Ginger, drained and squeezed
4-5Tbsp Spiral Organic Shoyu/Tamari for dipping
1Tbsp Spiral Organic Umeboshi Purée
2tsp Spiral Wasabi Paste
Spiral Instant Miso Soup to serve on the side
1. Cook sushi rice using a pot or a rice cooker, according to package instructions.
2. Once cooked, fluff rice and transfer to a large bowl.
5. While the rice is warm, sprinkle sushi vinegar over the rice, mix with a spatula, cutting and flipping to avoid the rice becoming sticky and lumpy. Cool down to room temperature and set aside. Cover with cling wrap to prevent it from drying.
6. Heat a small frying pan, add 1tsp oil, sauté chicken, season with teriyaki mixture, remove from heat, cool down and cut into thin strips.
7. Arrange all ingredients on a large serving plate or platter. Place rice in serving bowl, nori on a plate and condiments in separate tiny dishes.
How to eat
Place 1Tbsp rice on a Nori sheet and spread thinly using a fork (too much rice will make it hard to roll). Add a little wasabi or umeboshi purée on the rice if desired.
Add 1 or 2 of your preferred rolling ingredients in the centre and wrap or roll. Dip in shoyu/Tamari, and enjoy!
Serve with a bowl of miso soup.