Pork Spare Ribs marinated in Spiral Barley Malt
Recipe By: Kylie Kwong
- 1kg pork ribs
- 4 limes, cut in half
- 300g Spiral organic barley malt
- ¼ cup (60ml) Spiral organic tamari
- ¼ cup (60ml) Spiral organic brown rice vinegar
- ¼ cup (60ml) Shao Hsing Wine
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed and roughly chopped
- 7 cm piece (40g) ginger, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon Sichuan peppercorns, dry roasted
- 1 tablespoon chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt flakes
To make the marinade whisk barley malt, tamari, vinegar and wine together in a glass or ceramic bowl large enough to hold the ribs. Using a mortar and pestle, pound the garlic, ginger, Sichuan peppercorns, chilli flakes and salt to a paste. Add paste to barley malt mixture and combine well.
Place the ribs into the mixture, cover with plastic wrap and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for 3 hours or overnight.
To cook the ribs preheat oven to 170°C. Place ribs in a roasting tin and roast for 30 minutes or until ribs are cooked through.
Arrange on a serving platter with fresh lime halves. Eat with fingers!