South-East Asian-Style Fish poached in Spiral Coconut Milk
Recipe By: Kylie Kwong
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 small red onion, roughly chopped
- 3cm fresh galangal, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 lemongrass stalks, trimmed and finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon finely sliced fresh turmeric or ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 x 400g can Spiral coconut milk
- 4 Kaffir lime leaves
- 450g firm white-fleshed fish, cut into 2 cm chunks
- juice of 1 lemon
Place the garlic, red onion, galangal, lemon grass, turmeric, paprika, fish sauce and brown sugar in a blender and process until finely blended. Add the coconut milk and process again until thoroughly blended.
Transfer the coconut mixture to a heavy-based pot. Squeeze the Kaffir lime leaves in your hand first, to release the oils and aroma, then add to the pot. Bring the coconut mixture to the boil then reduce to a gentle simmer and cook for 10 minutes to allow flavours to infuse and until mixture has reduced slightly.
Add the fish chunks to the coconut mixture and poach gently for 4–5 minutes. Add lemon juice and stir. Transfer to a large shallow serving bowl and serve immediately.